Monday, February 22, 2010

a couple of great experiences

This is just a picture I found online because I didn't take my camera with the other night. I couldn't have though. I went to a mens practice at the Hanalei boat club and was one of two "novices" out of 25 guys. I was the 5th seat in a 6 man outrigger canoe and I got my butt kicked in every way. I felt out of place among these tough guys who live to paddle. The other novice scored some "bad-ass" points with his tattoos, but I had nothing to elevate my status as the week link among this group of hardcores who were gearing up for their race on the west side that weekend. The first 10 minutes we paddled up and down the river a bit as I worked on my form and rythym and right as I was going to start internally complaining about my arms being tired already apparently someone yelled a command that I didn't understand and all 4 six man boatsbegan racing up and down the river and working on various sprints and start up routines that never gave me more than a moment to lower my shoulder for a rest. After two hours I think my arms were stiffer then the paddle and I couldn't beleive that I survived the practice. But splitting a nice tall dark beer with the other novice afterword made me feel like I accomplished something to be proud of and I started to look forward to a good night's rest and a relaxing day in the morning. Until I remembered what we were doing in the morning.
Our new friend, Dick, took us on a five hour kayak trip up the Wailua river to hike to secret falls. I thought the paddling would kill me after the previous night but the difference in technique and purpose of the kayak trip actually did end up being relxing and loosening up my shoulders a bit. We had a great time. A rope swing into ice cold water is one of those things that you just have to do if you get the chance; for me anyway.
we are very blessed to be here and to have people to take us to do such cool stuff. Check out other pictures at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2045852&id=110901060&l=8b159e0646
z

No comments:

Post a Comment