Friday, March 5, 2010

New tatoos.

This week is our last week here, and on Wednesday, we helped with the food pantry for the last time. I decided it would be fun to do some face painting since I have connected with a lot of the kids over the weeks and thought it would be a fun addition to our art stuff. It turned out everyone had fun with the face painting (I even got to be the lucky one to color in an "Auntie's" tatoo), and even cooler was that it seemed like we had tons of people in general that contributed to our art this week. Below is my favorite family here. They were my most creative artists!! While I was painting other kids faces, I heard Zach yelling at me from across the courtyard. Apparently, the littlest boy in this family, Makila, had decided he did not want to wait to have his face painted, and that he would just do it himself. He picked up a brush while I wasn't looking and painted stripes all over his face! I felt bad that I hadn't been paying attention, but his mom wasn't upset; she thought it was sort of cute. I was lucky enough to have them leave me with their artistry on my body. They were so excited to be able to paint on me too. When I said goodbye, Nohea, the girl gave me a great big hug. It was sad to say goodbye.
Nohea and Makani create masterpieces on my arms.
Nohea, Makila (we washed his face, and then I painted him a fish scene on his cheek), and Makani.
The finished product!
On a happier note, Matt and Kayley arrived on Tuesday!! It has been a lot of fun to have them here and play tourists again. Yesterday we had to drive an hour to get good weather (it was rainy all day on the north shore), but we did manage to find the sun! We are hoping to have time to go kayaking, surfing, up the Napali coast, and to the canyon before we leave. Time is running out quickly. Last night the church had a "Goodbye Hope and Zach Party" and a "Welcome Matt and Kayley Party" at this lounge called the Tahiti Nui in Hanalei. It was fun, with a little drama. For another time......

No comments:

Post a Comment