Tuesday, March 17, 2009

save me from this bed; save me from the wicked things I love

Today I'm thinking about a story that I read. If you know me well at all, then you know who the book was by. I am thinking about a little lizard on my shoulder. Sometimes it's so small that I hardly know it's there. Sometimes it's tongue hissing in my ear is all I hear, or sometimes it just distorts everything else that I am trying to hear. I don't know how long it has been there. Sometimes I feel like I was born with it there. When I was young I thought it was so small that when I grew up it would get smaller and dissappear. I was wrong. It grows larger as I grow taller. Now it's a dragon. It gets more terrible as I grow wiser. Today I thought about where my skin ends and where it's scales begin. I thought about throwing it off, but it's stuck. I tried cutting it off, but I bled. I had a nightmare where I heard my own voice hissing. There's no doubt in my mind that it must be killed. There's no doubt in my mind that I will die. My heart screams "quick! kill it before I try to keep myself alive!" My soul begs for a new body, a new heart, a new mind. ..."someone find my Maker; I'm coming apart at the seams..." It's hard to submit to death in order to live. It seems like nature accepts this. Why do we spend our lives fighting it?

No comments:

Post a Comment